Mon-Sat: 07:00 - 17:00

Excellent Service

Start a Business

in Estonia

Call Today +372 819 69 299

Laada 10-41 Rakvere 44310

Those Who Do Not Need Visa to Enter Estonia

Those who do not need a visa to enter Estonia

  • Citizens of the member countries of EU and EEA
  • Citizens of Schengen Countries
  • If you hold one of the following passports, you do not need a visa to enter Estonia unless your stay exceeds three months (in a 6 months period):

Albania*, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia and Herzegovina*, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Holy See, Honduras, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, Israel, Japan, Macao Special Administrative Region, Macedonia*, Malaysia, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro*, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, San Marino, Serbia*, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, St Kitts-Nevis, United States of America, Taiwan, Uruguay, Vatican City, Venezuela.

  • If you hold a diplomatic and service passport of the following countries, you do not require a visa to enter Estonia unless your stay exceeds three months (in a 6 months period):

Albania, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Macedonia, Moldova, Montenegro, Morocco, Peru, Philippines, Russia, Serbia, Thailand, Turkey, Ukraine, holders of the Laissez-Passer issued by the United Nations

Visa Types

Type A (Airport Transit Visa): This visa does not grant the foreigner the right to enter Estonia (or stay in Estonia). It is given for the entry into the international transit zone at an Estonian airport (valid till the departure to the arrival country or next transit country).

Type C (Short Stay): For stays up to 90 days within 6 months in Schengen area.

Type D (Long Stay): Only valid in Estonia. If it is due to a short-term employment, the short term employment should be registered at the  Citizenship and Migration Bureau. This visa can be issued with a right to stay up to 6 months and with a period of validity up to 12 months.

Application Process for Visa

If it is only for a visit, you must apply for the Schengen visa from a foreign representation of Estonia.

If several Schengen member countries will be visited including Estonia, you must apply for the Schengen visa from the representation of a Schengen member country which is the state of main destination. The country you are planning to spend most time is your destination country.

If you are not sure which state is your main destination or planning to spend the equal number of days, you should apply for the visa through the representation of the country through which you will enter the Schengen area.

List of Documents Required for Visa Application

A valid travel document (with at least two blank pages for visas and valid for at least 3 days after the end of the expiry date of the visa)

Filled visa application form

A colour photograph (35x45mm)

A valid health insurance certificate. The minimum rate for limit of indemnity in the insurance agreement is EUR 30,000 for the whole period of stay.

Documents demonstrating the purpose of the travel.

Documents that prove the existence of sufficient economical sources during the stay in Estonia

Documents demonstrating the covering of accommodation costs and the costs of stay in Estonia.

Documents certifying the payment of state fee or the exemption from paying it.

Work Permit & Residence

Residence permits to the citizens of the EU, EEA and Swiss Confederation and their family members are regulated by the Citizen of European Union Act. A citizen of the EU is allowed to stay in Estonia with no residence permit. He/she only needs a valid travel document or identity card. For the temporary residence, an EU citizen must contact the local government authority and register his residence within three months from the date of entering Estonia. It is granted for a period of 5 years. EU members do not also need an additional work permit in Estonia.

For third country nationals

Residence and work permits for the third country nationals are issued by the Alien Act.

Residence permit can be temporary or long-term.

Temporary residence permit:

  • married to a person with permanent residence in Estonia;
  • for moving in with a close relative permanently residing in Estonia;
  • for employment purposes;
  • for education at an Estonian educational institution;
  • for business;
  • whose permanent legal income ensures his or her subsistence in Estonia;
  • in case of substantial public interest;
  • whose application for residence permit is based on an international agreement.

Temporary residence permits can be extended unless the basis for the permit has changed. There is also a 90-day transitional period after the expiration of a residence permit.

Work Permit

A foreigner with a residence permit has a right to work in Estonia.

Short-term employment

Employers, under certain circumstances, may apply for the registration for short-term employment in Estonia for the foreigners who stay in Estonia on the basis of Type D visa.

Short-term employment is valid for a period of 6 months a year.

Short-term registration application can be submitted in the following cases:

  • people engaged in creative activities who work in a performing arts institution;
  • a teacher or lecturer in an educational institution, which complies with the requirements established by Estonian law;
  • a scientist if the alien has appropriate professional training or experience;
  • a sportsman, coach, referee or sports official for professional activities on the basis of an invitation from a respective sports federation;
  • a trainee in order to obtain vocational education intermediated by an educational institution or a student organization located abroad if this is a part of the relevant training programme;
  • in order to serve in the diplomatic representation of a foreign country with the permission of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs;
  • for working as an au pair;
  • an expert, adviser or consultant providing that the alien has the required professional training;
  • an installer of equipment or a skilled worker providing that the alien has the required professional training
  • a seasonal worker processing agricultural products;
  • on the basis of an international agreement.

We,, assist entrepreneurs, investors or new start-ups that seek to export or grow in new markets! Our experienced stuff provides an on-site guidance to businesses that are looking to explore new opportunities!